Update to latest firmware ?

Come discuss everything that goes through your head !!!
mrv007

Update to latest firmware ?

Post by mrv007 »

Hi guys,

I am on 4.0.1 firmware....using a fat32 SD card and SXOS 1.3

1.4 Gives me errors and blank screens...so sticking with 1.3

Would you update to use an ex fat SD ? Thus not have to use XCI-Cutter....and of course I cannot install NSP titles over 4GB either.

The odd game requires a software or firmware update....I am also not bothered about playing online.

Just wondering how people are running there machines...Should I be on the latest firmware ?

Regards
Hugnkiss

Re: Update to latest firmware ?

Post by Hugnkiss »

Hello mrv007, For the best results and major bug fixes you should always run the newest firmware because it will make things a lot more stable in the long run. Now it would be better to format your sd card to exfat because majory of people that has SX OS on there switch have already done it. I have a link for you that will show how to format your sd card to exfat in windows, here is the link https://www.disk-partition.com/articles ... -3889.html. Now that could make 1.4 not give you any more errors at all, but it might not. But for a last resort you can always reinstall SX OS. Now for XCI Cutter you can still use it just in case so you do not run out of space on you card because games are only going to get bigger in the long run. lol If your not worried about online, I would update. Just make sure you update XCI files, not NSP because I have read that NSP update threw the big N's online can lead you to a ultra bann. What that means is that you cannot even get system OFW updates at all. So I strongly would check on google for NSP updates and install them manualy if you want NSP. I hope that helps :-)
mrv007

Post by mrv007 »

Thanks for the reply mate,
I will update then in the coming days
Cheers
Warped

Post by Warped »

The thing about 4.0.1 firmware is that it is more likely to have a warmboot soon, ive read it on gba temp that it will most likely happen towards the end of the year, whereas upwards of that you will still have to keep the console on sleep mode for the cfw to work.

The main thing about having an updated firmware is the system stability but on a warm-boot cfw that´s kinda compensated with costume tweaks, there was also the problem of not being able to play games that were released past you firmware version but that has been fixed thus the reason you have the "ignore firmware version" on tinfoil.

I personally tend to stick with the lowest firmware possible when the homebrew scene is recent, on consoles like the 3ds it´s whatever cause you have the warm-boot in all versions of firmware so might as well update there, not on switch.

Personal opinion.

Ps: for switch use exfat no question
We always start with good intentions
But lose ourselves along the way.
mrv007

Post by mrv007 »

I don't have a problem sticking a dongle in now and then......its when new releases come out that you cannot play because your firmware is too low.
The ex fat is my issue really. I have seen the tutorial, which looks a ball ache. I might invest in a c cable and back up my nand and stay on 4.0.1 etc...

I like the fun of getting things working. I don't play many games now days, and when you don't keep up with the scene..... time passes and it changes to much to bother with !
I have had every console under the sun from the first bat and ball game in the 70`s. So im no novice !

Always good to get a few opinions

cheers guys
Hugnkiss

Post by Hugnkiss »

Warped wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:11 pm
The thing about 4.0.1 firmware is that it is more likely to have a warmboot soon, ive read it on gba temp that it will most likely happen towards the end of the year, whereas upwards of that you will still have to keep the console on sleep mode for the cfw to work.

The main thing about having an updated firmware is the system stability but on a warm-boot cfw that´s kinda compensated with costume tweaks, there was also the problem of not being able to play games that were released past you firmware version but that has been fixed thus the reason you have the "ignore firmware version" on tinfoil.

I personally tend to stick with the lowest firmware possible when the homebrew scene is recent, on consoles like the 3ds it´s whatever cause you have the warm-boot in all versions of firmware so might as well update there, not on switch.

Personal opinion.

Ps: for switch use exfat no question
True, I had read that as well. That also could be the reason for the error, It could have code in it to prepear it for the new feture, but its causeing issues. But its hard to tell because programs have bugs that can apper out of no were and cause issues. I know that lower the firmware the better espctialy for homebrew, but from what I have found about people useing SX OS, they tend to have a better experence with being up to date on the firmware. But again its not for everyone. My personal opinion answer to yours, its a friendly answer, no attacting of any kind. :-)
Hugnkiss

Post by Hugnkiss »

mrv007 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:51 pm
I don't have a problem sticking a dongle in now and then......its when new releases come out that you cannot play because your firmware is too low.
The ex fat is my issue really. I have seen the tutorial, which looks a ball ache. I might invest in a c cable and back up my nand and stay on 4.0.1 etc...

I like the fun of getting things working. I don't play many games now days, and when you don't keep up with the scene..... time passes and it changes to much to bother with !
I have had every console under the sun from the first bat and ball game in the 70`s. So im no novice !

Always good to get a few opinions

cheers guys
If its headache to make your sd card to be formated to exfat I have a link for you that shows you how to do it on windows. Here it is http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3132 ... ndows.html it even has photos to show you what to do. I hope that helps :-D
mrv007

Post by mrv007 »

For me personally , I have no need for homebrew on the switch.

People get excited to play old roms on emus. I can do that on numerous number of machines.

"ignore firmware version" on tinfoil ... I m only using SXOS for the moment.

It will take a killer title to prompt me so start mucking about with homebrew/ loaders etc

Hugnkiss , right click on the sd card in windows and format selecting ex fat .
Hugnkiss

Post by Hugnkiss »

mrv007 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:29 pm
For me personally , I have no need for homebrew on the switch.

People get excited to play old roms on emus. I can do that on numerous number of machines.

"ignore firmware version" on tinfoil ... I m only using SXOS for the moment.

It will take a killer title to prompt me so start mucking about with homebrew/ loaders etc

Hugnkiss , right click on the sd card in windows and format selecting ex fat .
Yep, that is right, Like I has said just trying to help out. :-D. But at the end of the day you do what works for you. :-) If your not into homebrew thats cool. I do not have a Switch at all because so far game wise there is only one title that I really want to play. And it would be a waste of money on my part just to but it for a single game. If and when I would buy on, I do plain to get SX OS because I would like to jailbreak my switch just to said I have done it. lol That would be about it. But again that is just me.