Couple questions regarding Switch

Do you have a question or a problem ? This is where you have to post.
azurisk

Couple questions regarding Switch

Post by azurisk »

Dear forum members. I have a few questions about the switch and the use of xci and nsp files.
First off I set my switch to airplane mode to prevent it from accessing nintendo network. How then is it possible that when starting some games I get a message that an update is found and I have the option to download it or start the game. How is this possible when the switch is in airplane mode?
Also when looking under data management and using check for corrupt data every game I installed, xci or nsp, get a message that corrupted data has been found and if I would like to redownload. When I look in the xecuter menu under install it lists all my nsp files, but some do not have an image of the game. For example I downloaded the eu version of splatoon 2. It came with the main game file, an update and the octo expansion pack. the first two show an image of splatoon and they show the game title when selected. The octo expansion however is white and just says DLC Add-On v65536. How do I know if the addon works after insalling? Am I doing something wrong with the installs? There are quite a few white tiled nsp files, in this case all dlc packs for games. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hugnkiss

Re: Couple questions regarding Switch

Post by Hugnkiss »

Hello azurisk, Your switch is still connected to the internet, The big " N"has a hidden way still unknowed to us users that talks to the switch while in airplain mode. Now that is why people are looking into it because it could lead the way to makeing a band proof method. I think why your getting the corrupted message because the xci files might have been trimed which means anything that does not affect the game at all is taken out, with that said the checksum might not be lineing up right. Which in that case would be a false postive and nothing to worrie about. Now for the NSP it could be the game cert has been moded so it can be played by different people, but I am not sure because NSP are a lot different then xci files. I would not worrie about it unless it affects game paly or the system itself. Not knowing a lot about NSP because they are still newish yet I have a youtube link that would be a better help in that area, it shows you how to install the up date and explains it in more detail then I could. Here is the link https://youtu.be/WUbVoKvvXns. I hope this helps you out :-)
azurisk

Post by azurisk »

Thanks for the help. Only way would be to deny internet access by limiting access in the router by using the switch mac adres. Will try that this week.
Hugnkiss

Post by Hugnkiss »

Your welcome, I do hope that the mac address works for you though, the only 100% way of the switch not talking to the big n is to disconnect it from wifi, but that does not work with everyone. I wish you the best :-D
azurisk

Post by azurisk »

But is it normal that some content shows up as a white box in the install list? Or is that a sign of corruption?
Gothmog

Post by Gothmog »

Hugnkiss wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:50 pm
Hello azurisk, Your switch is still connected to the internet, The big " N"has a hidden way still unknowed to us users that talks to the switch while in airplain mode. Now that is why people are looking into it because it could lead the way to makeing a band proof method. I think why your getting the corrupted message because the xci files might have been trimed which means anything that does not affect the game at all is taken out, with that said the checksum might not be lineing up right. Which in that case would be a false postive and nothing to worrie about. Now for the NSP it could be the game cert has been moded so it can be played by different people, but I am not sure because NSP are a lot different then xci files. I would not worrie about it unless it affects game paly or the system itself. Not knowing a lot about NSP because they are still newish yet I have a youtube link that would be a better help in that area, it shows you how to install the up date and explains it in more detail then I could. Here is the link https://youtu.be/WUbVoKvvXns. I hope this helps you out :-)
I had deleted all network connections but still for the update message.

I think it's set by default in some games when they know they'll need a day 1 update.
Gothmog

Post by Gothmog »

Hugnkiss wrote:
No such thing as a hidden connection. As i said, i had no connection defined on my switch and yet, i was asked either to update or play as-is. So i believe it's planned out of the box for games that will need a day 1 update.

But to add some info. Today, i ran kirby without any update (as usual no internet connection) . It was mandatory to update (no possibility without it). Then i used the update NSP then reloaded the game, this time is had the possibility to either update again (!) or run as-is. Pretty surprised.
Hugnkiss

Post by Hugnkiss »

Gothmog wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:55 pm
Hugnkiss wrote:
No such thing as a hidden connection. As i said, i had no connection defined on my switch and yet, i was asked either to update or play as-is. So i believe it's planned out of the box for games that will need a day 1 update.

But to add some info. Today, i ran kirby without any update (as usual no internet connection) . It was mandatory to update (no possibility without it). Then i used the update NSP then reloaded the game, this time is had the possibility to either update again (!) or run as-is. Pretty surprised.
Hello Gothmog, For you I did not know you were not connected to internet at all? So if you were misleaded by my answer It was for the post before you had posted. So I am sorry if that is the case. For you Gothmog your are right for some games it is in there code for checking a update, but for some they do message to the big "N" for updates. Now what I ment by hidden connection for previous post, I ment that its unknowened how over the internet the games talk to them. It is still being worked on how it works and how to block it so you as a user does not get banned. There are methods to block said issues but they are still in the dark because as of now its guessing game. I hope that clears things up for you. :-)
Gothmog

Post by Gothmog »

Hugnkiss wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm
Gothmog wrote:
Hugnkiss wrote:

Hello Gothmog, For you I did not know you were not connected to internet at all? So if you were misleaded by my answer It was for the post before you had posted. So I am sorry if that is the case. For you Gothmog your are right for some games it is in there code for checking a update, but for some they do message to the big "N" for updates. Now what I ment by hidden connection for previous post, I ment that its unknowened how over the internet the games talk to them. It is still being worked on how it works and how to block it so you as a user does not get banned. There are methods to block said issues but they are still in the dark because as of now its guessing game. I hope that clears things up for you. :-)
no problem :laugh:
I just wanted to point out that it's not that because an update is requested that a nintendo servers had been contacted.
Nevertheless it's probably better to be fully disconnected rather than be on the border line.
I've seen somewhere than you can change the default DNS servers of the switch to point to custom DNS who filter nintendo servers, it might work but if a single server is forgotten then you risk a ban.
Hugnkiss

Post by Hugnkiss »

Gothmog wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:49 am
Hugnkiss wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm
Gothmog wrote:

no problem :laugh:
I just wanted to point out that it's not that because an update is requested that a nintendo servers had been contacted.
Nevertheless it's probably better to be fully disconnected rather than be on the border line.
I've seen somewhere than you can change the default DNS servers of the switch to point to custom DNS who filter nintendo servers, it might work but if a single server is forgotten then you risk a ban.
No, Thank you for pointing it out. :-) I had forgotten it when I was doing the answer to the first post. I forget that games can do that with out the need for internet, there are a lot of them though that do need internet to work because online is huge now for systems. Thats the bummer because if the net work is down sometimes you cannot play a few titles at all. 100% ture for being disconnected then being on the border, why take a un needed risk. I had read about the DNS thing as well, I have heard it does work, but I also heard it dones not make a difference, but then again the people that set it up could have made a end user mistake, I for one have kept a close eye on it, So far as of now it works, but for how long is anyone's guess?